So after many trials and tears, I finally hacked the perfect sponge cake that won’t break your heart as you bring it out of the oven by falling and reducing in size. It took me just 10 minutes to mix up this cake batter. Simple ingredients of Milk, Eggs, Flour, and Sugar. With a handy hand-mixer, you are good to go.
I used Evaporated milk but another option is to use full-fat milk. You need the thickness and slight sweetness of the milk.
The amount of sugar could be much, but the sweetness doesn’t really come out. The hack is to blend the sugar in a dry blender to help it mix faster, this is castor sugar. Blend till it looks like glucose or icing sugar.
You can enjoy this cake with a hot milk beverage or just ice cream
I hope you enjoy this cake and if you try out this recipe, please let me know how it goes.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (You can use other flavor and extracts like Banana etc)
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose Flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups Milk
- 10 tablespoons or 150g butter
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla or preferred flavor or extract.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter is melted.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda & salt, gradually add to batter beating on low speed until smooth.
- Gradually the milk and butter mixture into the batter, beat just until well combined.
- Pour into a greased (preferably 13×9-in. or something flatter) baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Not having a hand-mixer can make this recipe a bit hard. Using a whisk and a whole lot of elbow grease. You can also use a food processor.
- You really need to beat the eggs till you can not smell the eggs. Before adding the sugar, the eggs need to double in side and look like lemon yellow.
- Coating the pan with cinnamon and butter will give it s really nice brown coat.